Considered to be one of the most soothing and least invasive ways to resurface your skin, chemical peels come in varying strengths and types depending on the skin type and condition being treated. At Rao Dermatology, we offer Jessner, Glycolic, and TCA peels to accommodate your individual needs.
Rao Dermatology has locations in Fresno, California; Hanford, California; Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey, and Manhattan, New York. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with our medical team and find out which of our refreshing chemical peels is right for you.
What is a Chemical Peel?
Chemical peels improve overall skin appearance by removing the outermost layers. A chemical solution is applied topically treated areas, where it is left to sit for a specific amount of time to effectively penetrate the skin surface.
The peel is then neutralized, and the affected layers gently peel away to reveal a fresh, new skin layer underneath. Rao Dermatology currently offers three types of chemical peels:
- Jessner Peel – Considered to be a medium-depth peel, Jessner contains three main ingredients that aid in skin penetration, exfoliation, and Acne treatment. These ingredients work together to break up dead skin cells, and natural peeling can be expected several days after treatment.
- Glycolic Peel – A more superficial peel, glycolic acid is considered a light peel, gently removing built-up dead skin cells, make-up residue, and other cellular debris on the skin as well as restoring an even texture and natural glow.
- TCA – TCA is a non-toxic chemical that has been used in the skincare industry for over 20 years. It can be applied at both light and medium depths depending on the individual condition.
What Can Chemical Peels Treat?
From superficial issues to more pronounced skin concerns that extend below the surface, chemical peels have been proven to treat:
- Fine lines, wrinkles and other visible signs of aging
- Hyperpigmentation and dark spots on the skin
- Acne scarring and light general scarring
- Sun damaged skin
- Acne irritation and breakouts
- Rough skin or scaly patches
In addition to the face, chemical peels can be used on the chest, back, arms and legs.
Most patients experience a tingling sensation during a chemical peel as the solution penetrates the skin, but this treatment does not cause any pain and is typically well-tolerated.
Are There Any Side Effects?
Depending on the strength of the peel, it may take several days for the skin to peel. The skin may appear red and feel tight during this time. As your skin is vulnerable during the peeling process, it is important to follow the instructions from our medical team for effectively caring for your treated areas.
As part of a regular treatment regimen, chemical peels are proven to manage several skin concerns.
Contact Rao Dermatology today to schedule a consultation with our medical team and find out which chemical peel is right for you.